City Stormwater Management
Request email notification when page changes E-Notify

Stormwater Concerns


Public Concerns

The City investigates stormwater issues that may be public problems. If you have a public concern, please contact us. Generally, public problems cause a:

  • Potential for loss of life or damage to public infrastructures or buildings;

  • Conflict with emergency access;

  • Standing water problem (48 hrs or longer) that cannot be resolved with finish grading;

  • Potential for high risk stream bank erosion on multiple properties; or

  • Potential for water quality degradation.  How to dentify and report pollution.

Private Concerns

Here are some tips for managing drainage on your property:


    • Make sure the ground and downspouts slope away from foundations.

    • Keep fencing slightly above drainage flow paths, rather than flush with the ground level.

    • Ensure yard drainage is not diverted or blocked by patios, pools, planter boxes, sheds, etc.

    • Inspect and remove debris such as leaves from storm drains in your yard so they can properly function.

    Standing Water

    Water causing minor erosion: contact the City to help recommend solutions. 

    Detention & Retention Basin Problems

Note about Buying Property

It pays to do research before buying property, since you may be financially responsible for drainage or erosion issues.  The St. Charles County Soil & Water Conservation District has free soil surveys and offers technical assistance. Call (636) 922-2833.  The City's Community Development and Public Works Departments may also be helpful with zoning, construction, mapping, stormwater, and other common questions.  Call (636) 327-5102.



Get notified when this page changes
Top Work Place St. Louis 2019